How I cook a story... or three

When in the kitchen of the mind, it is always good to know what it is you are cooking and how you are going to cook it.
Short stories, novels, poems, to some, seem like daunting recipes to even try and attempt in your own kitchen, yet we all have the spices and condiments for a good meal, right?

If this is you, and you've got a character who you think would make a good story, or the idea for a story but you can't seem to unwrap it and find where to start, then this is for you...

Hi, my name is Mr Oh which stands for Making Repetitive Orgasms Hourly and I'm a three-time author and writer of the Little Black Book trilogy from London.

I've met a lot of people who ask me how I write a story, how is it possible to take a wealth of ideas and lock them down into an order that people can read and understand.
Well, it's not as difficult as you would imagine.
Because you already have the ideas, you just need to stop them floating around your head and lock 'em down on that chopping board. Soon as you do, the rest of it can flow.
For me, when it comes to writing a story short, novel or otherwise, I like to start with something simple. Like a name, a character, a place, a sentence, ANYTHING.

You have the Idea, Now the Next Level of Thinking

Once I have an idea of something, I base a next level of thinking around it...

OR... and this is such a simpler OR...

I could stop being so complicated and let you know the fun way I like to do it.
There's no idea, there's no characters, no background, no nothing.

Just a blank page.
OoOoOoOoOo... that is the REAL deal fun right there.

This how I used to do it when I started writing and still do today. What this does is that it takes away all the stressful planning that comes with the planning of a story.
You don't have to think about where your writing about, what the characters are doing, how much of the background you want to describe.
All that goes out the window.
All you have to think about is what is going to be your first line.
And the beauty of it is that you don't HAVE to think about it... just let it come to you.

Every story you read in my Little Black Book trilogy was written that way. I find it opens my creativity more because after the initial freestyle aspect of it, I have to build around that first line or paragraph and create the story around that.
I could just as easily write a plan out for the story (and I go into that later on) but this style goes back to the beauty of why I write. Just being able to create lives with my mind. Being able to make something up that someone not only relates to but PHYSICALLY feels. All with one line or paragraph.
That first line can spark off a train of thought that could create the next big thing.

But, let's play with an idea for a minute, just to get a taste of what I'm talking about.

For example, if you had this as your first line of a story, what would come next?

'Russell barged the door open and was instantly taken aback by the sight in front of him...'

What would you write next?
What was Jayden looking at?
Why did he have to force the door open?
Whose door was he forcing open?
Was someone in danger?
If Jayden was strong enough to barge the door open, what could have taken him aback?


It's one thing to think about writing a story and putting plans down to write it, but its another candle when you have to write the story. And I find this exercise helps you be able to take the words from your head to the page. You don't have to think about what you write, just let your fingers go.

You Know What to Write & have a Plan
But here Mr Oh's TWIST..

Now for those of you who need to plan ahead and KNOW what you are going to say and how you say it, then I'll let you know about the OTHER way I like to get books started.

I like to start with a book.
Slightly ironic to start a book with a book but this is no ordinary book.
Oh no no no...
This book is going to be more important than the book you write. Because this book will be the blueprint, the sketches, the intricate plan for everything that will go into the book you want to write.

This book has no words in it... yet...
Just lines and lines of space for you to plan.
When I plan, I get INTO it...
  • I go a little bit deeper than just the names of the characters and where they live.
  • I like to know the CRUST of a character and who and what they are.
  • I go into their star signs, job descriptions, ex-partners for the last 10 years, what car they drive, their style of dress, planned journey to work, what phone they use, etc.
And this all precedes a detailled description, chapter-by-chapter, of how your entire book will go.

Start, middle, end, epilogue, finish...

By the end of this book, you should be able to read through it at any time and feel like you've just read the book that you are yet to write. I have about four A5 books, written front to back, of stories I am yet to get to. OoOoOoOoh, a fun thing to do is write the date, time and place of where you wrote said book. May not seem like fun now, but if you are like me and you have ideas up and down the place and sometimes you don't get round to writing according to the plan, the flashback is a small grin.

I know the prospect of writing all that out seems like a process that will just be ongoing but at least you'll be able to go and come back to it over time.
Slowly surely like Jill said.

Date Stamps for your Book, is Like having Flashbacks but on Paper!

But when you start your book BOOK, a date stamp is a giggle...
I'll give you a prime example.

After my the Little Black Book trilogy, which ends in 2012 with Little Black Book 3 (and a lil surprise after that), I am going to be releasing my third novel, which is called Who's The Bitch Now?
It's a return to novel writing for me and, according to my book BOOK, I initially had the idea for this story on Monday 16th August 2005 at 22:49pm in Covent Garden, London. I cannot remember for the life of me what the hell I was doing there or what I was possibly drinking to have the idea but I had it.

I wrote the chapter-by-chapter breakdown on 31st March 2006 at 22:50pm on the Victoria Line.
But, over the years, I've constantly picked it up and reread it, just to remember how it goes and it's been ready to write for over four years... but I've been waiting for the right time for it. I'll use what I've written in the book for Who's The Bitch Now as an example for the type of things I like to know about the different elements of a book before I write it.

  • So my first page is a general breakdown of the story with the main characters from beginning to end.
  • Then I'll have the main and background character descriptions so I know who is who. This goes from their physical attributes down to any tattoos or piercings they have.
  • I like to know where they live, who they've been with, personality traits, who drives and what do they drive, connections between any of the characters, places they like to go, descriptions of their jobs and back stories that may relate to the main story.

Once you have every piece of salient information that you can think of about the story, then it's time to write your story.
  • Well between 8-9 lines of each chapter of your story (depending on your writing style. I'm an italic writer so I can get a dramatic chapter into 7-8 lines)
  • All you want to capture is the essence of what happens in that chapter. Just enough so that you can read it another time and trust in your talent that you will be able to write a full chapter based on what you've written.
Again, I'll give you an example...

In Who's The Bitch Now, the story takes places within a week.
On Tuesday morning, Selah (main character) comes back from work and she visits her war room and watches videos of Thadeus, sent by James. She's interrupted by Charli and Syreeta and she tells them that she wants to land Thadeus in a big way and she breaks down her plan.


Now when I write that same Tuesday morning chapter, it will span two/three pages.
Selah can come home, listening to music on her phone and may need to go to the toilet before she goes to her war room. She may want to make a drink or something to eat or play music before she gets comfy in her war room. She may plan to go to the gym straight after work and come home to get changed and suddenly be distracted by an email on her phone which makes her go into the war room. She may have to download the videos from her email before being able to watch them. When Charli and Syreeta come over, she may have to buzz them in before they come in. They may have a good old girly natter before they get down to talking about business. Selah may watch the videos with her friends while she breaks down her plan.


With each day of the week broken down, I've given myself enough of a guideline in those 8/9 lines so that when I get round to sitting down and writing it out, I'll know what my thinking was back then, possibly update if and where possible and, if I need to check something for reference, I've got all the info just a few page turns away.

Doing this is a good way to document your ideas and be able to put them down, in a way. Because this allows you to have the luxury of being able to choose when you work on it. All the information is there, any time you need it.

I've got books like this written for my next few novels including Organised Entanglement, Marie's Toy Box and The Finishing School.

Take what you Need & Put your own Slant to it.

Hopefully, some of my ways of cooking words together has given you something positive that you can take away and think about and use in the kitchen of your mind.
Don't be scared of the ideas that you have.
Sometimes they CAN run rampant and make you feel like your climbing a mountain in flip flops.
But, Lil Wayne did say, “I'm staring at a mountain like bitch, I will climb you!”
Not exactly literary genius but you know in your mind, body and soul that you have the potential for a good story rattling around in your brain.
Once you can attach it to a linear train of thought, your winning.

Show Me What You Got..

So, I want you to try something for me.
After you've read this, when you have some time, open a blank word page or whatever text document you rock and roll with and stare at it for a second. If you wanna play some music or have a drink then do so.

Then just type the first thing that comes to your head.

Don't really think about it.

Just let your fingers choose the utensils for your meal and cook away.

Then after a moment of pure free writing, sit back and admire what you've done.

It may not always be pretty but that allows you to keep things, change things, maybe delete it and start again with new thinking. But your at least inspired.

What you do with the story after you've written it?

That's a blog to come...


So says Mr Oh



Little Black Book 2 – APRIL 2011

'When was the last time you had your eyes, mind and thighs opened at the same time?'

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...