Write On: Overcoming Criticism

“Authorship is not for wimps.”  Repeat this quote over and over as many times as needed until you muster up enough courage to overcome your fear(s). It’s the truth. Writing is an art form. Sharing your work with the public means you are giving others permission to review, judge, ridicule, criticize or reject it. The public has more avenues now, than ever before to vocalize their opinions and views. Every review is not going to be a good one. People are harsh and everyone’s interpretation of your work will be different. Being tough skinned is a necessity.

When I sent out the first draft for “Lust-Have Recipes: IN-Gredients for Stimulation”, one of the reviewers sent it back to me with a negative review of almost every poem. It was harsh and I took it personally, at first anyway. I talked it out with a few people and then I went back and reviewed the comments made throughout the draft. Some of the feedback I used to improve the work, the rest I discarded and decided to stay true to my original vision because after all it was only one person’s opinion. Looking back on it now, I am extremely grateful for the negative review. It made me aware of the fact the book would not appeal to everyone. It also prepared me in advance for the blunt negative feedback which is inevitable. Below are some tips I use to combat the naysayers and keep myself encouraged on the road to bestseller status.

Tips to overcome and leverage negative criticism:

#1- Confidence is the key. An unwavering amount of self-confidence is needed before you even decide to get started in a writing career. From editors, to publishers, to reviewers there will be a lot more rejections than there are people praising your work, when you get started. Confidence will allow you to be persistent; persistence is a must in order to be successful. One rejection shouldn’t deter you; it’s an opportunity for someone else to say yes.  Be confident enough in your work and craft to know eventually someone will open a door.

#2- It’s all about perspective. Don’t take negative criticism personally, acknowledge that everyone has a right to their opinion, but their opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one. However, it should in no way affect, influence or change the way you view yourself or your work.

#3- Learn to laugh. Having a sense of humor, I feel is a great way to take some of the sting out of the comments of the negative naysayers. I recently had a heckler at one of my readings, who was obviously not pleased with the event, me, my book, etc. I didn’t feed into her negativity. I actually found it quite amusing. I thought to myself, “I had the power to evoke emotion from a stranger I had never seen before in my life. Wow, I am doing exactly what I am supposed to do.” I laughed to myself, smiled and continued the event unaffected.

#4- Use the criticism you get as leverage. Don’t be ashamed when someone dislikes your work. You can turn it around in your favor, by getting other people to read it for themselves and be the judge. Who doesn’t want their chance to give their thoughts, etc? It can spark curiosity in others and in turn grow your reach. Maybe they’ll agree the work sucks or maybe they’ll think you’re a genius, however you got them to read your work, which is the point.

#5- Keep going. Don’t second guess yourself or your talent. Keep your eye on the bigger picture. “An ant is a small thing to a giant. I can overcome this.” (TI Quote) You are on your way to bestseller status, meaning there are going to be millions of people reading your work. Are you really going to let one person derail you from your end goal?

Everyday there are going to be a million and one things which will arise to discourage you from living out your dream as a writer. Keep your end goal in mind and remember to use the negativity as fuel to get you closer to your destination.

Until Next Month, Write On.

C. Nzingha Smith is the author of "Lust-Have Recipes: IN-Gredients for Stimulation" and the principal writer and editor at SNC2 INK, a writing agency providing technical writing and editing services for small businesses and creative entrepreneurs. Visit her author site www.cnsmithbooks.com to preview her new release or www.snc2ink.com for more info on services.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...